Pulled Pork & Bourbon. Enough said.
What you need:
For the Pulled Pork
5 lb Boston Butt Roast
4 cups apple juice
1/4 cup Maker's Mark Kentucky Whisky
2 tbs. liquid smoke
1 bottle BBQ Sauce ( I used Carolina Sauce)
What you do:
- Rub the pork butt with the dry rub, cover and refrigerate 30 minutes to overnight. Obviously the longer the better.
- Place pork in the crock pot fat side up and then pour in the apple juice, Maker's Mark and Liquid Smoke
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Drain the liquid and transfer the pork to large plate or platter (or if you're me, an old cake pan)
- With a couple of forks begin to shred the pork, removing the bone and any fat. Once it's all shredded put it back in the crock pot and mix in the barbecue sauce. Let that cook on low for 30 minutes.
For the Quesadillas:
Whole Wheat Tortillas
Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Heat frying pan over medium high heat, make sure not to let it get too hot! Then spray one side of the first tortilla and lay the sprayed side down in the pan quickly add a generous layer of cheese and then evenly spoon on the pulled pork on the tortilla. At this point the cheese on the bottom should be pretty melted. Spray the second tortilla with cooking spray and place on top (sprayed side up).
- Smash the of the top of the tortilla with your spatula: the goal here is to make sure that last layer of cheese is sticking to the top tortilla so that when you go to flip the whole thing you don't make a mess. At this point about 2-3 minutes from the time you put the first tortilla down has passed.
- Flip the quesadilla letting the other side brown about 2 minutes.
- Cut and Enjoy!