Homemade macaroni and cheese is almost sacred in our house. I've been trying for 4+ years to replicate my mother in law's recipe to no avail. The problem is that she lives 9+ hours away, and when I feel like macaroni and cheese I almost never want to go back to the store and I certainly don't want to pay that god awful amount of money to buy the cube of Velveeta. (seriously, it's like 5 bucks!) What is a girl to do? Make a cheat version of course!
What you need:
1 package of Kraft Deluxe Macaroni and Cheese dinner (with the cheese pouch)
2 tbs butter (I use Smart Balance)
1 cup milk
2 cups shredded cheese (whatever cheese you have in the fridge is fine. I've cut up slices of cheese before)
salt and pepper to taste.
What you do:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Make macaroni according to instruction on package. After you drain the water, put the macaroni back in the pot. Over low heat add the rest of the ingredients (including the cheese pouch) stirring until all the of the cheese is melted. It should have a slightly soupy consistency.
- Spray a pyrex dish ( I use my 8X8 square) with cooking spray and pour the macaroni mixture into the pan.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the cheese sets.
Benefits of the cheat:
- You don't have to pay for Velveeta!
- You can pull this off on a weeknight, no problem.
- You won't have a shit ton of leftovers.